DIY & Handmade
Have you ever ask yourself what to do with the remains of those denim jeans you cut to make a pair of shorts? Well, don’t throw them away, you can make a cute little pouch/clutch to hold your cards, pens, makeup or keys. This is a very simple DIY project but you will still need to have some basic sewing skills, if you don’t have a sewing machine you can do it by hand, or even use fabric glue. Let’s get started!
* Recycled denim fabric (from the jeans legs)
* White fabric paint
* Big black button
* Small elastic hair band
* Pins, needle and thread
* Sewing machine (optional)
Step by step:
1) Cut the denim leg around 25 cm long. I forgot to take a pic of this step, Oops.
2) Turn it inside out and sew across the denim leg opening (the side you just cut) using a sewing machine (or by hand) until closes. Turn it right side in again.
3) Fold the open end over to create an envelope effect
4) Mark the middle of the opening with a pen/pencil (where the elastic will be stitched)
5) Pin the elastic halfway in the first layer of the opening side.
6) Using a needle and matching colour thread (for your fabric) secure the elastic in the inside of the fabric.
7) Fold the pouch and use the elastic as a reference to mark (with a pen/pencil) where the button will be stitched.
8) Sew your button in place.
9) You’ll end with something like this. Now it’s time to paint and add your special touch.
10) I didn’t have a specific design in mind, I kind of went with the flow but I wanted to have a tribal look and lots of details. You can also use a erasable pen for your own design and paint on top. I even painted the button at the end! Depending on what kind of fabric paint you use, you might want to iron this once the paint is completely dry (being careful with the plastic button) using a soft cloth at the top to make sure the paint stays.
And now it’s time to enjoy and show your beautiful recycled denim clutch bag.